The global COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted the need for organisations to employ measures to help ensure the safety and wellbeing of employees, clients, suppliers – in fact, anyone that interacts physically with your enterprise.
The ability to identify and screen individuals for Elevated Body Temperature (EBT) at ports of entry has become an important aspect of limiting the spread of COVID-19. Pandemics and epidemics such as SARS, MERS, and now COVID-19, have all utilised thermal screening to assist in identifying and minimising the spread of such diseases. It seems a logical next step then that such screening capabilities should extend to organisations in both the public and private sectors too.
Infrared thermography (IRT) is an application of Computer Vision through which one can measure the temperature of an individual. Thermal screening is thus used as an EBT detection method and may also be used as part of employee health and screening (EH&S).
However, EBT is not the only aspect to be cognisant of within an organisation. The Kognition solution range offers both stand-alone IRT, as well as all-in-one solutions that combine Face Recognition, IRT and Access Control to help keep people safe and well, in and around the workplace.
About Kognition Thermal Imaging
Kognition is a brand of Computer Vision solutions that uses AI to identify, categorise and trigger actions based on detection, recognition and tracking of objects within images or video frames. An object is first detected, then captured and lastly matched.
Face Recognition helps with identification and authentication, while in IRT use-cases, a thermal camera is used to determine EBT by measuring the temperature of an individual at skin level, on the face. Face Recognition can be paired with IR in certain product sets – for instance, to accurately combine a temperature reading with the identity of the individual being screened. Selecting the components or product sets within Kognition is highly dependent on the use-case for the CV application, as well as client budget.
Why Kognition Thermal Imaging?
As a screening and identification solution, Kognition offers several features/ benefits to organisations, including:
- Secure screening and building access control – Limit business risk by being able to identify potential threats using Face Recognition and EBT (combined or stand-alone).
- Accurate and reliable screening methodology – Kognition temperature screening solutions are highly accurate and have been used worldwide.
- Assists with social distancing protocols – The solutions support non-contact measurements (+0.3m up to 9m, lens dependent) whereas thermo-guns and thermometers require either contact or measurement, often between 1-5cm of an individual.
- Compliance with regulations towards reducing health risks – EBT detection assists in screening for abnormal body temperature, enabling a prompt response to triggers or red flags.
- Consolidated campus or enterprise-wide screening information – Through solution software or integration capability, EBT screening data may be collected and collated into dashboards and reports for management purposes.
- Adaptable for different building types and scenarios – The solution set contains various form factors and calibration methods to suit different building types (for example: corporate, branch, wellness, conference, high security areas etc).
- Extensive training and support structures – The solutions have associated product and solution training, together with local and internationally-backed support structures.